Colours and Themes




Colours and themes

I feel that I cannot fully explain my works in progress with you all without first explaining how I construct my outfits. For many years I mostly wore black and purple, I saw Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne in the live action Scooby Doo movies wearing all purple and wanted to emulate her. Of course, back then the hand made clothing market was not as awesome and explosive as it is now, so finding all purple everything (especially matching shades) was impossible, so I ended up mixing in some black to make it workable. Last year I realised that I had been wearing the same colours for approximately ten years, it's time for a change. 

Growing up I wanted to be Daphne, look at those boots!


Me in 2009
This new wardrobe project is also my way of forcing me out of my comfort zone, forcing me to work with colours I've never used. Thus far, the hardest part has been that my entire wardrobe no longer matches, I need to find the particular top that goes with the particular skirt. But that's ok, I'm working on a way to make it flow better, mainly by using a colour that I SWORE I'd never use: Brown. My best friend in high school wore lots of browns and creams, I always cringed as I had always favoured very vivid and bold colours, brown? me? never! But since my new wardrobe is inspired by nature, brown just makes sense as it's the colour of earth and tree trunks. I started working with it when I realised that my old boots were dying and I needed new ones. I ventured into Rivers last September during their 75% off winter sale and scored a pair of amazing brown boots for $15 (great way to save money is end of season sales) and since last winter in my city lasted until December (we skipped spring) I have already worn them heaps, and they are perfect!
I love that my boots no longer blend in with black tights


My new inspirations come from flowers and plants that I see whilst I'm driving. My current look I'm working on is cherry blossom themed. This is forcing me to work with pale pink, a colour I have hated since I was a young girl (I probably hate it because young girls are expected to wear pale pink) I didn't even dress my daughter in that colour! The only pinks I have ever worn is a deep magenta. But I have always been drawn to the cherry blossom, something about the sight of a line of cherry trees whilst driving down the street for the 2 weeks they're in bloom, before the wind blows them off for another year, makes me smile so much. 

Cherry Blossom look, I had didn't even think about it matching my suitcase when I got dressed that day


Another look in the works is a simple brown and green "earthy look" green makes my eyes pop, so this works, and the brown from that look flows into the brown from the cherry blossom look. My trusty Leafy Creations tops really help me pull this one off, and green goes with everything, as most plants have a coloured flower with green leaves, you never look at a plant and remark "hey! that flower does not go with it's leaves!" (ok, maybe lime green would clash a bit) so I can use this a flow as well.

I try to keep my colour flow to as little colours as possible. I have been known to run out in un-matching colours if I'm behind on the washing (which happens, a lot), but generally I like everything to match head to toe. This is where making my own gear comes in handy, even if I have purchased an item I can still wear matching accessories if I colour match and make it myself. So far I've only made simple garments like headbands, skirts and wristbands, but it's amazing how they can "make" and outfit. Shoes are the hardest as I can't make them myself, I also dislike wearing cheap shoes as they hurt my feet, so my shoe collection isn't very impressive at the moment.

Cherry Blossom Headband I designed and made

Living in Melbourne, the infamous "four seasons in a day city", means that all of my looks (except maybe my big winter coats) have to be suitable for every season all year round. We get 19 degree days on the back of 38 ones, it's crazy. Currently it  is summer, so I am putting more focus on skirts and such rather than pants. Most outfits consist of a TPF Faerie Wear shrug (to be reviewed at a later time) a headband made by me, a skirt made by me and a breastfeeding singlet from Kmart. Nice breastfeeding tops are insanely expensive and harder to make. I find that tops are the one item of clothing that it's hard to find awesome but practical items. they're usually the garment that comes with halter necks, strapless, buckles etc (see my introduction blog for my clothing criteria) so I've found it best to make this item as simple as possible and deck out your outfit another way.

As we head into Autumn I will be looking at working with another foreign colour pallet: warm colours! Exciting stuff.

I hope this will help give you a better understanding for when you see my work in progress shots. I will soon do a blog on my headbands and the "Hanky hem saga" (who knew the simplest skirt could be a saga).

Until then, take care everyone!
Love,
Sami

Know or make any clothes that you think I'd love? Send me a link and I'll check them out! I'm always looking for more artists to buy from.

I am not affiliated or endorsed by any of the brands I mention or review, I'm just an avid fan.

Comments

  1. I love the cherry blossom outfit! The headband you made is great! Is the shrug TPF Faerie Wear? Who made the skirt?

    I'm yet to try hanky hem skirts but REALLY want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! that shrug is TPF! (Blog coming on them soon as I am in love!) and I made the skirt :) (blog also coming, I have a lot of back dating to do)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Wear

Revisiting an old project

The Hanky Hem Saga Part 1